The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow : Disney College Program Interview Series Part 2

In Part Two of my DCP interview series, we will be talking to Caitlin Chciuk!

Caitlin is a Smart and Mature young woman who had the opportunity to participate in the Disney College Program, Spring Advantage 2014. Caitlin worked in Main Entrance Ops in Downtown Disney (now Disney Springs, at the La Nouba show doing Ushering and at DisneyQuest doing Ticketing. Safe to say, she has gained quite a bit of experience during her time at Disney.

What made you decide to apply for the DCP?

 In January of 2013, my family took a trip to Walt Disney World that changed my life. We had been there almost 10 times before, so my mom and I wanted to do something different. We decided to take the Keys to the Kingdom tour, and being backstage and experiencing the magic from a different perspective made me realize that I wanted to be a cast member. There was only one problem – I had graduated college the month before! Luckily, I was in the process of applying for graduate school, so I applied for the DCP during my first semester of grad school, and got accepted!

How did you find out about the program?

 I had a lot of friends in my undergrad who had done the DCP. I wanted to do it, but I always had a reason not to – I had a yearlong lease I couldn’t get out of; I was already behind in school; excuse after excuse. I should have just done it. But everything happens for a reason!

Describe a Magical Moment you made or witnessed?

As a cast member at La Nouba, I got to witness a different type of magical moment from what people experience in the parks. One of my favorites was seeing a young boy, who was dressed like our clowns, get to meet and interact with the clowns. Seeing guests’ faces light up when our clowns interacted with guests at the beginning of the show was always great, but this boy’s family had set up a special meet and greet for him, and he was in his absolute glory.

Had you lived in a Dorm setting before? Tell me about your experience living with new people.

 I had lived in both a dorm setting and apartments during my undergrad, but DCP living proved to be very different than that for me! The rules in CP housing are very different from what I was used to in student housing. However, the constant security, while it may seem like a pain, made me feel very safe. My roommates were also unlike anyone I’d ever lived with – in a good way! They became some of my closest friends. And because of our very different work schedules, we never really got in each other’s way.

Tell me about some experiences, Good or Bad , in your role that was memorable for you.

There are always good and bad experiences in every role. What I learned from my job is that, no matter how hard you try, no matter how pleasant and polite you are, you cannot please everybody. Sometimes it was really difficult to do some aspects of my job because it could potentially affect a guest’s visit. For example, for La Noubashow-load, there would be times (especially while Downtown Disney parking was undergoing major changes) in which we had to seat guests after the show had begun. However, that of course would affect the guests around them. I had guests throw some not-so-nice words at me, or even ask for a manager to complain to, but at the end of the day I was just doing what my job required of me. Good memories far outweighed the bad, though. I loved making personal connections with guests in any way that I could. Often times they’d notice my hometown on my nametag – the best were guests who knew where my tiny New Jersey town is located! It was always fun to learn where guests were from and how their trip was going!

Take me through your average work day.

I was very fortunate to work in a location where my schedule was pretty set in stone. At La Nouba, shifts started at either 3:30, 4, or 4:30 pm depending on your opening tasks, and ended at 11:30 pm. To open the theater, each usher gets a checklist of tasks that need to be completed and signed. Every checklist needs to be done, so everyone needs to pitch in and make sure the theater is ready to go. Then we’d have the usher meeting at 5 pm, in which our coordinator or manager would let us know how many guests were coming to each show, and what we needed to know for that day (example: if a performer was out). At 5:30 pm we’d begin seating guests for the 6:00 pm show. After the show, we’d clean the theater to prepare for the 9:00 show, which we’d begin seating at 8:30. Then after the 9:00 show, we’d clean the theater again, which would bring us right up to leaving time. And what did we do during the show? Well, we didn’t just sit around and watch – every usher, depending on his or her position that day, would have a different task to do. And because there’s no recording during the show, we’d all be watching for cameras/cell phones/etc. Breaks were show-dependent; half the ushers would take their break during the 6:00 show, and the other half would take theirs during the 9:00 show. Our coordinator determined who was on which break time, and who was in what position on which day. Every single day was different.

At DisneyQuest, shifts started at either 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, or 4:00 pm, and went until 7:00 pm or 10:00 pm, depending on start time. If I worked at 10 am shift, I’d be the one opening the box office for the day. I would have to get my drawer key, get my funds from Guest Relations (in the same office), count the funds into the cash drawer, set up my computer, and open my window by 10:45 am or so. We could set our own breaks (within a certain time frame) so once all the DisneyQuestwindows were open, we’d figure out breaks amongst ourselves. My job entailed selling DisneyQuest tickets, selling Walt Disney World tickets, linking Magic Bands, activating annual passes, and assisting guests with questions and issues. Luckily I worked in the same office as Guest Relations, who are some of the most helpful people in the world, so if I ever came across a situation I was unsure about, they were there to assist!

Explain your Person Application Process.

My application process was, in one word, fast. I was initially applying for Disney Professional Internships, but then I found out almost at the end of the application cycle that I could also apply for the DCP at the same time. I applied on October 10, 2013, had my phone interview the next day, and was accepted on October 14. It was a very quick process overall for me!

How has working at Disney affected your life personally?

 Working for Disney made me a better version of myself. The version of myself that guests saw onstage is something I strive to be in my everyday life now. I learned so much about professionalism, motivation, and problem solving from being a cast member. I also learned more about myself than I’ve ever learned in any stage of my life. I learned to push my limits for the greater good, because I learned that I can handle so much more than I thought I could!

How has working for Disney affected your Education and Career goals?

 Working for Disney changed everything. After I graduated college, I was stuck about what I wanted to do. I chose graduate school because I had no idea what I wanted to do with a BA in English (cue the Avenue Q joke….), so I began pursuing a master’s in Public Relations. But I still didn’t feel like it was an exact right fit for me. Now that I’ve worked for Disney, I know I want to work in a customer/guest service industry. I’m in consideration for another DCP right now, and I hope to turn it into a career with Walt Disney World.

What did you do in your free time?

 In my free time, I want to say I went to the parks as often as possible, but that’s not entirely true. I’m an introvert by nature, so many of my days off were spent either reading or editing photos in my apartment. Toward the end of my program, I would spend my days off going to the parks to get about 100 photos (generally of Festival of Fantasy) and then I’d go home and edit. Everyone uses their free time differently, and I think I had a good balance of parks and down time.

Express some of your favorite memories from your program.

 One thing that always stands out to me when I think about my program is when a bunch of us CPs used to leave La Nouba at 11:30 pm, after a long shift, and rush to Magic Kingdom to play for a little while before the park closed at 1 am. It just feels like one of those things that was a total CP thing to do, and while we only did that a few times, it was always so much fun to see how many attractions we could get in before the park closed.

 My 24th birthday fell during my CP, so I knew I had to do it right. On my actual birthday, my friends and I did four parks and Downtown Disney in one day. It was a long day, but it was fun to say we accomplished it!

Which Housing Complex did you Stay in?

 I was in a 2 bedroom apartment in the Commons.

Walk me through your First Week as a DCP participant.

 I started my DCP on February 3, 2014. On the first day, I met up with my (potential) roommates for check-in at Vista Way, and we found out we’d be living together in the Commons. We went to our apartment and started unloading our stuff, and then headed to the Casting building to finalize paperwork and all that. We also got our role assignments that day, but I didn’t actually find out which buildings I’d be in until a few days later. After Casting, we went to Walmart to get some things for the apartment, and then headed out for a roommate dinner at House of Blues at Downtown Disney. Then we had a couple of days before Traditions, so we finished our shopping and unpacking, and mostly hung out at the pool. Traditions was on February 6. After Traditions (which I don’t want to go into detail about because I don’t want to spoil it for CP hopefuls!), we were able to go to the parks so my roommates and I went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom. The next day, I had my Downtown Disney training (“Our Town”) and I found out my finalized work locations. It was so fun to walk around and learn everything about Downtown Disney and the transformation to Disney Springs, which had just started. Then a few days later I started my La Nouba training (which was four days) and after that, had my DisneyQuest training (three days). The first week as a CP is crazy busy!

What have you done since you finished your program?

 When my program ended, I went right back into school. I’ve spent the last year and a half finishing school and working, and now I’m applying to go back to Disney!

Why should one consider doing this program?

 I think someone should consider doing this program if he or she wants to work for a highly reputable company, wants a job in which he or she can help others, and wants to work hard. The program gives you the opportunity to play, but it’s a lot more work than play. Be ready to work, but also be ready for the time of your life!

What opportunities were offered to you by the company during the program?

CPs are offered some great opportunities for networking! There are all kinds of events and classes that promote networking and meeting new people. 



Comments

Popular Posts